Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The measure of my receiving grace is disclosed in the measure of grace I extend.  This is a conundrum since grace covers me even, or perhaps especially, when I am not gracious, and in the same grace-event I am liberated to be more generous with grace.
Grace is not for those who want to bear a grudge or hold onto a resentment or hold someone accountable for a wrong-doing, for grace will not permit such things. It isn't a legalistic prohibition of such dark matters of the heart, instead it gently, yet powerfully removes the splinter of anger and bitterness, removing the source of infection.  It is the only cure for a sin-sick soul. It defeats blame and judgment and self-righteousness and leaves one naked and vulnerable to love. Sometimes this is an immediate occurrence, sometimes it takes years. One might imagine responding with anger and indignation if a resentment is removed without some retribution, but grace causes these to be transformed from venom to healing ointment, from poison to an elixir.
It is inexplicable and to witness it in my life and the lives of others is proof to me of a divine source.  Grace is not evolutionarily necessary, it is not in our DNA. It is not about survival, but surrender.  And yet when I breathe in grace my cells recognize it and release all the toxins of anxiety that accumulate in my mind, letting grace fill my chest and enter my heart and course through my veins and fire with my synapses.   
Though the measure of me receiving grace is disclosed in the grace I extend or withhold, this is not a means of measuring grace in another.  It is only within the furnace of one's own heart that such a measurement can be taken.  And like Daniel’s friends in Nebuchadnezzar’s furnace, in the flames of our conscience we can see only One other standing there with us who prevents us from burning up in the fire of guilt and conviction. That One does not shake a finger shaming us.  Instead that One stands with arms open ready to embrace us.

So if we pray for grace, then it is a prayer to be released from not only our own sin and brokenness, but also the judgments we hold against others.  Therefore, praying for grace is never praying for it only for ourselves, but for everyone else too. 

© Stephen Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment