Saturday, January 24, 2015

The first four books of the New Testament are called by the name of the author of each: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.  The full name of each of the first four books is actually: According to [author’s name].  The presumed title is therefore: The Gospel According to…
So what?  I didn't learn them that way as a child.  I never remember a Sunday School teacher emphasizing the full title of the Gospels.  I don't recall a sermon on the "according to" part of the Gospel titles.  Most Bibles I've seen only have the name of the author and not the "according to" part of the title.  So what?  Big deal.  
It wasn't until I took Greek in college that I really took notice of the "according to." It was there in my Greek New Testament at the top of every page "according to Mark" or "according to John."  Apparently the early Church, as the Gospels were written down, understood the significance of the "according to" in a way that we may not today.  I think the “according to” is very important since it lets us know that the account is a particular person’s view of the Gospel.  I’d broaden that and include the community of which each author was a part, but the point remains that the Gospel account has the fingerprints of a particular person or group of people all over it.  If you compare the Gospel accounts—as has been done a great deal—you’ll find that there are differences.  In fact, there are some differences that make one wonder “just what really did happen?”  The birth narratives of Jesus are each unique as are the resurrection narratives.  Some of the parables are told with different emphases in each of the Gospels.  Some stories are only contained in one of the Gospels and never mentioned anywhere else. 
These differences have caused some to question the authenticity of the message contained in the Gospels.  I think there’s good reason to wonder why they’re so different in some cases, but I don’t think the differences invalidate the truth contained in the Gospels.  In truth, there’s a richness to the Gospel that comes from the different presentations and views of what Jesus’ life and ministry means. 
Back to the “according to” of the Gospel titles.  I have several files on my computer that begin with the words “The Gospel According to…” and there are different names or titles that follow.  I once wrote a lengthy poem on the birth of Jesus that is similar to a Dr. Seuss poem.  It’s called “The Gospel According to Seuss.” I have a sermon series I preached on Acts 20 in which a young man named Eutychus fell out of a third story window after falling asleep there while Paul was preaching.  The series is called “The Gospel According to Eutychus” and it is focused on the church’s role in engaging and nurturing young people.  There are books published with names like "The Gospel According to Peanuts" and "The Gospel According to the Simpsons" and others that interpret the message contained in a comic strip or cartoon or movie or book through the Gospel lens.  
I have taught classes on Evangelism many times and one of the things I always emphasize is that for evangelism to be honest and effective then it must be authentic.  By that I mean it has to be the Gospel According to You—or whoever is sharing the message of the Gospel.  Too often, I think, the Gospel is packaged and standardized, like it’s a franchise: McGospel.  Certainly the message is the same, but the way each of us shares the message and it’s meaning is unique.  It must be our story of our encounter with the Grace of God in Jesus Christ. 
The best way for this to happen is for it to be personal and fitting the circumstances.  I don’t think seeing other people with an evangelism target painted on their chest is the way to be an evangelist.  I think, however, that whoever we meet, under whatever circumstances we meet them, we should be so steeped in the grace and Good News of Jesus Christ, that it is apparent even if we never say anything about it.  We must trust that the Holy Spirit will prepare the opportunity for the “Gospel According to Us” to be shared. 

In order to do so, however, we ought to know the story, the Gospel, ourselves.  Do you know what the Gospel is according to you?  Are you able to tell yourself who Jesus is to you and why?  Frankly, I think that’s the best part—knowing it ourselves in its richness and mystery and power.  And if we do, then watch out, because then there’s no keeping it silent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment