Tuesday, January 6, 2015

I have been steeped in the stories of the Bible my whole life. Through the years my posture toward scripture has changed dramatically—some change is due to basic cognitive development, some is due to study, some is due to experiences, some is due to perceived incongruities within scripture itself or between interpretations and applications or between interpretations and what I observe and experience. Ironically, most of the shifts in my interpretation and attitude toward scripture have come about as a response to those who claim to be insiders, yet their use of scripture is harsh and vindictive, as a sort of measuring stick to identify insiders and outsiders. Jesus pointed this misuse of scripture out often. I have moved way beyond the need to defend scripture as God's word--if it really is, does it require we defend it or are we defending our own weak faith in that to which it bears witness?
For all the criticism and challenge and questions raised about interpretations and perceptions of the Bible and its content as well as its misuse, I honestly must admit that for me the Bible is still the most inspiring, most convicting, most insightful, most centering, most revealing collection of writings about life, humanity and even my own character. Often I am knocked on my proverbial butt by some passage that I have either overlooked or thought I had its message pinned down. I have also discovered that instead of diminishing scripture, the insights of scholars and scientists usually free the message contained in scripture from false interpretations. I find that I am often in agreement with those who are critical of the way it is used against people rather than for people since its central message is one of liberty and not of bondage, one of mercy and not of condemnation, one of forgiveness and not of judgment, one of grace and not of wrath. While there is bondage, condemnation, judgment and wrath contained in scripture these are a prelude to the purpose--and that is to remind us who we are and to bring us home by introducing us to the One who loves us beyond our wildest dreams or highest hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment