Sunday, January 18, 2015

Someone recently told me that he doesn't believe in God, that he believes in love. Belief in love is not bad, indeed it is a beautiful thing to experience and arrange one's life according to love. There are far, far worse things to believe in.

Let us, however, imagine that love was bread. I might believe in bread for many of the same reasons as believing in love. Bread feeds me, nourishes me, satisfies me, even comforts me. I can see that others cherish bread too, so the experience of holding bread in high esteem is common. Bread is a wonderful thing and I might live my whole life feeling that I need nothing more. Still, I can't help but think that my life would be/is exponentially richer knowing the Baker who provides the bread.

© Stephen Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment